Ticket Management System - Web

A multi-center Ticket Management System for receiving locate request tickets, managing locator workflow and assignments, transmitting positive responses back to the originating One Call center, transmitting notifications to excavators and providing meters for managers to effectively manage their locate teams and response times.

Image of a ticket management list.

The Big Problem(s)

The legacy ticket management system (TMS) that we had was over 20 years old and built on legacy software. This presented a few problems both internally and externally. Internally the company was hiring new engineers who didn’t know how to code with the legacy software so we needed to rebuild the system using a modern software stack. Externally our users found the old TMS outdated, difficult to use/navigate, not user-friendly, and an outdated design that was not beautiful or pleasant to look at.

New Login/Sign Up Screen

Research and Breakdown of current System

The Process

Being new to the industry and the application, I spent the first few weeks breaking down every single aspect of the application. I took screenshots and broke down each step of the application, made all the connections (and was able to fix broken links through that process), all in an effort to better understand the system. This lead to me having multiple interviews with the engineer who built the system and the Product Owner and was able to gain greater understanding. We also were able to start removing outdated processes that weren’t relevant and strip the system down to it’s most basic, and what we thought were it’s most important functions.

Understand, Research,
Design, Test, Handoff

After working to understand the process and the problem, I spent time on research. Research included looking at how the market was solving this problem, doing user interviews with current users to understand how they use the system, create user persona’s and  journey maps. After that I started designing lo-fi mockups and invited users to test out the designs. The mockups slowly became more hi-fidelity mockups as I tested and redesigned. Lastly I would handoff the designs to the developers and they would build the feature. We would then go through another round of user tests, collect data, and then redesign if needed before shipping.

New ticket details

New map view with ticket locations

Continuous Process

It was a continuous cycle of understanding, researching, designing, testing, and then handing off to the developers.

Research based Design

Based off the data we received, I started a new design that increased the speed of finding a ticket and taking action on that ticket. This reduced the mental load on the user by limiting the amount of steps a user had to take to accomplish a task, as well the user didn’t have to think as hard to go through the application.

Image of a ticket management list.

V2 ticket list and map view

V2 ticket details

V2 ticket details

V2 ticket details expanded